Environmental Education Center Docent
Job site: Lake Hills Greenbelt, Mercer Slough Nature Park and Lewis Creek Park
Length of commitment: Varies
Reports to: Curtis Kukal, 425-452-4195
Work Environment: Outdoors
Background Check Required: As appropriate
Age: 16 years and older
Lead nature walks, group tours and environmental education programs at the Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center, Lake Hills Greenbelt Ranger Station or Lewis Creek Visitor Center. Help increase your community’s understanding of and appreciation for the natural resources in Bellevue. You may choose to become familiar with all of the walk topics - such as wildlife, wetlands, plants and history - or focus and create your own walk using your special knowledge and interests. Docents may assist with group programs as needed, and may help with the design and implementation of special programs and events.
- Relate Parks Department philosophy, mission and goals to the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Assist with the development and improvement of lesson plans.
- Distribute, gather and file forms including registrations, confirmations and evaluations.
- Lead hikes, staff informational tables, and run environmental education programs.
- Respond appropriately in case of an emergency.
- Understanding or interest in natural history and environmental education.
- Experience working with youth.
- Strong verbal communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to handle a crisis situation in a calm and professional manner.
Fill out the following forms (include a resume if you wish) and send them to Curtis Kukal at the mailing address on the upper right of this page. If you have questions, please contact Mr. Kukal by phone (425-452-4195) or email (email@example.com ).
It is the policy of the City of Bellevue Parks & Community Services Department to provide volunteer opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference, and/or disability.