Parks and Open Space System Plan
Receive email notification when this page is updated
It's time for an update
About every six years, Bellevue updates its Parks & Open Space System Plan. The City Council adopted the current plan in early 2010.
The Parks & Open Space System Plan contains the community's long-range vision for acquisition and development of parks and trails and preservation of open space. It also sets the standards whereby the park, trail and open space system is operated and maintained over time.
Many of Bellevue's parks and trails that we use and treasure today were first conceived as an idea in the Parks & Open Space System Plan. Those early plans were drafted on typewriters. The maps and graphics were hand-drawn and inserted by cutting (with real scissors) and pasting (with real paste).
The 1981 Bellevue Park and Recreation Plan included this quote from Carl Sandburg on the inside cover:
Nothing happens unless first a dream.
It is easy to miss, but inside the 1981 plan was a recommendation for the city to "acquire and develop a waterfront urban facility..." at Meydenbauer Bay. Six years later, in the 1987 plan, that idea took shape, identifying Meydenbauer Bay as "Bellevue's opportunity to make a connection between the downtown, Downtown Park and the water." The concept for the park remained a high priority in every subsequent park plan, and key pieces of land were acquired to make the dream a reality. Today, in 2015, the city is poised to begin construction on the first phase of that park.
How Can You Be Involved?
What is your dream for the Bellevue Parks, Trails and Open Space System? Read the draft Parks & Open Space Plan, and let us know what you think. You can call, or write down your thoughts and mail or email them to:
Bellevue Parks & Community Services
PO Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009-9012
Presentations & Outreach
- Bellevue City Council - February 8, 2016 - agenda
- Parks & Community Services Board - APPROVAL - November 10, 2015 - agenda
- Parks & Community Services Board - October 13, 2015 - agenda
- Transportation Commission - October 8, 2015
- North Bellevue Community Center Advisory Committee - September 28, 2015
- Planning Commission - September 23, 2015 - agenda
- Environmental Services Commission - September 17, 2015 - agenda
- Bellevue Youth Council Open House - September 16, 2015
- Parks & Community Services Board PUBLIC HEARING - September 10, 2015 - agenda
- Neighborhood Leadership Gathering - September 9, 2015 - meeting summary
- Youth Link Board - September 9, 2015
- Arts Commission - September 1, 2015
- Human Services Commission - September 1, 2015 - agenda
- Bellevue TV - Lake to Lake, September 2015
- Movie Nights in the Park - Hidden Valley and Crossroads Park - August 2015
- Neighborhood News - August 2015
- Bellevue Neighborhood Outreach NextDoor Post - July 17, 2015
- Bridle Trails Community Club Announcement - July 6, 2015
- Parks & Community Services e-newsletter - July 2015
- Bellevue Reporter Article - June 30, 2015
- Bellevue Strawberry Festival - June 27-28, 2015
- Parks & Community Services Board meeting - June 9, 2015 - agenda and presentation
2010 Parks & Open Space System Plan - Entire plan; clicking on a chapter title in the Table of Contents will lead you to that section of the Plan.
Project Maps by Subarea