Percentage of city: 3 percent
Under 18: 711 (18 percent of the area)
Housing Units: 1,880
Platted in 1904 as the company town for the Hewitt-Lea Logging Company, Bellevue’s historic Wilburton neighborhood is an enclave of single-family and multifamily housing known not only for its rich history, but also for its beautiful views, parks and wooded areas. Major parks include the widely acclaimed Bellevue Botanical Garden and the 160-acre Kelsey Creek Park, which features barns and farm animals.
The Wilburton area also contains significant light industrial uses – at the southern end along I-90, and in the Bel-Red corridor. Bel-Red – between the densely developed downtown and Redmond’s urban center at Overlake – has been rezoned for mixed-use development, oriented around new East Link stops and the area’s physical amenities (Goff Creek, West Tributary, Lake Bellevue). An art district is also envisioned for the area.
Wilburton was one of the few local areas still home to Native Americans when white settlers arrived. Civil War veteran Clark Sturtevant paddled up Mercer Slough to claim 160 acres along 116th Avenue and more land around the lake now known as Lake Bellevue. In the early 1900s, the area around Sturtevant’s homestead operated first as a busy logging camp and then as a sawmill. The area around the lake became known as Midlakes and developed as a commercial center for local farmers.
A privately owned store stood east of the current Southeast Eighth Street/Interstate 405 interchange, along with a ferry dock, bunkhouse, cookhouse, blacksmith's shop and other buildings that served both loggers and residents. Mercer Slough, at that time, was a navigable waterway dammed to accommodate a log-holding pond. Above this area – where the railroad trestle meets Wilburton Hill – a railroad station was built in 1907, and burned down in 1921. East of the station were homes for the sawmill workers, the last of which were torn down to make way for new apartments and condominiums on the hill.
Also at the north point of the trestle was the junction of five small gauge railroad spur lines which ran into the forests to bring logs to the mill and holding pond from the "remote logging camps" such as the one at Crossroads. And north of the railroad station was a facility for storing and shipping produce grown by local Japanese farmers.
Wilburton Train Trestle
Highland Community Center
Bellevue Aquatic Center
Bellevue Botanical Garden
Wilburton Hill Park
Kelsey Creek Park