Kelsey Creek Equine Volunteer (New)
Participants can register online at myparksandrecreation.com. Registration will begin in mid-March.
Limit - one session per participant for either the Equine, Farm or Art summer volunteer program. Please choose only one volunteer program per participant.
Hours: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Department: Parks & Community Services
Job site: Kelsey Creek Farm Park, 410 130th Place SE
Length of commitment: Must be able to attend the entire two week session
Training (required): Saturday, June 11, 2016, 10 a.m. - noon
Position reports to: Pam Myers
Work environment: Farm/Outdoors
Criminal Background Check required: Yes (this will require a Social Security number to process).
Fee: $15/resident and $18/non-resident
Please see flyer for dates and program numbers.
- Volunteers' primary task is to work with children in pony programs.
- Volunteers pay close attention to students; they do not over socialize with other volunteers during class or trainings.
- Volunteers talk to and involve the students, making their class experience fun!
- Volunteers are aware of their student and keep them safe from horses’ hooves and mouths.
- Volunteers are respectful and aware of their horse and its actions.
- Volunteers assist with the set-up and take down of pony classes, trail course, and crafts.
- Volunteers complete assigned jobs and tasks promptly and enthusiastically.
- Must attend training orientation on Saturday, June 11, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Interest in horses.
- Tolerance to be on your feet for a physically active day.
- Ability to work in diverse weather conditions.
- Capable of understanding and following directions.
- Willingness to learn and a positive attitude.
- Volunteers must be able to attend entire two week session.
- Pass a skill test.
- Must register in Class.
- Learn techniques of "natural horsemanship."
- Teens work together as they learn about care and management of horses and the daily activities on a working farm.
- Preparation for future employment.
- Education about the community and Kelsey Creek Farm.
- Sense of responsibility.
- School credit for community service.
All volunteers are required to wear:
- A volunteer T-shirt (will be provided)
- Proper attire for farm environment
- Closed-toed shoes; no sandals
Registration is required. Visit myparksandrecreation.com or call 425-452-7688 or e-mail Kelseycreekfarm@bellevuewa.gov.