The Crag Climbing Wall
Our wall is full of life!
June 20, 2016 - All the pieces are in place now, and South Bellevue Community Center is excited to announce that Summer Rock Climbing Camps are under new leadership. It's important to SBCC management that the program is set up correctly, and it took time to find the right people to lead the camps!
Four very enthusiastic instructors are eager to share their skills, knowledge, and passion for the sport of rock climbing with your child. The climbing staff - Peter, Jesse, Onnaliese, and Jacob - all have experience rock climbing and teaching others how to climb. Whether is is a half-day or full-day camp, your child will learn the basics of rock climbing and will also be challenged in a fun, safe, and supportive environment to take their climbing skills to new heights.
There is space available in most camps. If you have registered already, we look forward to seeing your child at camp. If not, please consider registering for one of the 23 rock climbing camps available this summer. The instructor-camper ratio is intentionally set low to maximize learning time and to ensure a safe and fun environment for all.
Register for Full-Day Camp - This week-long camp focuses on teaching rock climbing skills to 8-16 year-olds. Instructor-camper ratio is 1:6. You will climb at "The Crag" (South Bellevue Community Center), Marymoor Park, and various locations around North Bend. There will be climbing routes for every level of ability from beginner to expert. Campers meet at SBCC daily at 9 a.m. and return by 4 p.m. All climbing equipment is provided. Campers neeed to bring a pack with lunch, sunscreen, and a hat. Climbing shoes are recommended but not required.
Register for Half-Day Camp - This year, in addition to the weekly morning sessions, afternoon sessions of the Half-Day Camps are being introduced the weeks of June 20-24, July 11-15, July 25-29, August 1-5, and August 15-19. The three-hour camp is perfect for young climbers, ages 5-8 years old, interested in trying rock climbing. Instructor-camper ratio is 1:5. The focus will be on introducing basic rock climbing and bouldering techniques. All cimbing will take place at South Bellevue Community Center's indoor climbing wall.
SBCC management will change their focus to re-establishing rock climbing classes, scheduled belay sessions, and climbing wall rentals once camps are up and running. Look for more information this summer for fun family activities and opportunities for adults to learn how to rock climb.
Come and climb our walls.
The Crag is 33 feet tall and sculpted to look and feel like Index granite. The wall offers three belay ropes with at least five climbing routes of varying degrees of difficulty per rope, and a bouldering or horizontal traverse wall. Advanced climbers can take advantage of the wall's natural-looking granite for the ultimate texture climb.
SBCC offers a full array of classes, supervised drop-in sessions, camps and programs for people of all skill levels to develop or improve their rock-climbing skills. The wall is also available to rent for parties, team-building and other celebration events.
All climbers must have a signed climbing wall waiver on file at SBCC. Youth waivers must be signed by parent or legal guardian.
Belayed Climb Session - During these scheduled times there will be trained staff to belay all individuals who wish to climb in a safe and encouraging atmosphere. All equipment is provided. Minimum age is 4 years.
- Sessions include up to three hours of climb time; length of time varies among sessions. $7 (residents) and $9 (non-residents).
- Single Climb allows people a chance to try climbing a single rope. Climbers get three attempts to reach the summit. $3 (residents) and $4 (non-residents).
Open Climb Session - Valid SBCC Belay Cards are required in order to climb The Crag during Open Climb Sessions. Bouldering is not permitted. Cardholders may only belay other adults with valid SBCC Belay Cards or their own legal children. $6 (residents) and $7.50 (non-residents).
Climb Passes - These passes save you money and never expire. Passes can be used for either Belayed Climb or Open Climb Sessions.
- 5 Climb Pass - $32.50 (residents) and $40.50 (non-residents)
- 10 Climb Pass - $60 (residents) and $72 (non-residents)
- 20 Climb Pass - $110 (residents) and $130 (non-residents)
SBCC Belay Card - Individuals, 18 years and older, interested in obtaining a SBCC Belay Card can be tested during regularly scheduled Belayed Climb Sessions to ensure they are current and effective in belaying skills. Tests are given a minimum of one week after taking the Rock Climbing 101 class. Cardholders are allowed to belay other adult SBCC Belay Cardholders or their own legal children during any climb session. Minimum age is 18 years. $12 (Bellevue residents) and $15 (non-residents).
Classes/Programs/Camps - register online at http://parksreg.cityofbellevue.org/.
- Rock Climbing 101 - This class is for the beginning or intermediate climber who would like to learn all of the basics of rock climbing. You will learn how to correctly wear a harness, tie knots, handle the rope, use a belay device and communicate effectively. Pre-registration is required. Minimum age is 4 years. $22 (Bellevue residents) and $27 (non-residents).
- Rock Climbing 101 for Parent/Child - Same as Rock Climbing 101, but this class is ideal for parents to take their relationship with their children to new heights. Go climbing! Price includes one child and one adult. Minimum age is 4 years. $22 (Bellevue residents) and $27 (non-residents). Additional child: $11 (Bellevue residents) and $13 (non-residents).
- Spring Break Rock Climbing Camps:
Full-Day Camp - Get a jump start on your rock climbing skills in a safe and fun climbing environment on SBCC's 33-foot indoor climbing wall. There will be climbing routes and fun, but challenging, games for every level of ability from beginner to expert. Weather permitting, campers will take field trips to Marymoor Park and Exit 38 east of North Bend for outdoor climbing, and will return by 4 p.m. All climbing equipment is provided. Campers need to bring a pack with lunch, sunscreen, and a hat. Climbing shoes are recommended but are not required. Ages: 8-13 years old.
Half-Day Camp - The three-hour camp is perfect for young climbers interested in trying rock climbing. The focus will be on introducing basic rock climbing and bouldering techniques. All climbing will take place at South Bellevue Community Center's indoor climbing wall. All climbing equipment is provided. Morning session is 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Afternoon session is 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Ages: 5-8 years old.
- Summer Rock Climbing Camps:
Full-Day Camp - Experience a week of rock climbing - campers will learn how to climb or how to take your skills to new heights. Campers meet from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m., and will start and finish each day at SBCC to climb the Crag, but will also visit climbing spots at Marymoor Park and various locations around North Bend. Climbing routes are available for every level, from beginner to expert climber. Ages: 8-13 years old.
Half-Day Camp - The 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. camp is perfect for young climbers interested in rock climbing. Learn basic rock climbing and bouldering techniques on The Crag, South Bellevue Community Center's indoor climbing wall. Ages: 5-8 years old.
High Adventure Camp - This summer you can also go climbing as part of the High Adventure Camp. This full-day camp is focused on a variety of outdoor activities. In addition to a great day climbing, campers will hike, play on the High Ropes Challenge Course, mountain bike and kayak. Ages: 10-13.
Wall Rental/Parties - available Sunday afternoons.
- Rock Party - Rock on and climb up! Includes one hour on the wall, one hour use of the party room, tables and chairs set up for your convenience, and an experienced staff to ensure the party is fun. All climbing equipment is provided. Book early for best selection of days/times. Minimum age is 5 years.
- Wall Rentals - The wall is available for private groups to rent. All climbing equipment and one belay staff are included. Minimum age is 5 years.
- Rock Party and Wall Rentals may schedule additional belay staff with advanced notice. Please ask the front desk or call SBCC at 425-452-4240.
- What should I wear? Climbing shoes or aqua socks work best for climbing, but are not required. Tennis shoes with rubber soles will work fine. We recommend that you do not wear open-toed shoes or thick-soled hiking boots. Avoid jewelry, tight clothing, dresses or skirts.
- What do I need to bring to Summer Rock Climbing Camp? Daily items: a backpack, lunch, snacks, water (an extra water bottle if it is warm), rain jacket, sunscreen, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, good fitting closed-toed shoes. Optional items: hat, sunglasses, shorts, T-shirt, hiking boots, rock climbing shoes (water socks also work well for climbing).
- Is extended care available for Summer Rock Climbing Camp? Extended care is available through the Boys and Girls Clubs of Bellevue for an additional fee. Sunrise care begins at 7:30 a.m., and Sunset care ends at 6 p.m.
- How do campers get to and from their field trip destinations? Transportation is provided by Mini Mountain to and from the South Bellevue Community Center and field trip locations.
- What is included in a party rental? Everything your group needs to climb is included in a rental. We provide ropes, harnesses, belay devices and trained staff.
- What else do I need to know? The minimum age is four years old, and every climber must have a signed waiver on file before climbing.
- What does the colored tape on the climbing wall mean? Key to the colored tape
- Who should I call for additional information? Please call 425-452-4240, and any customer service representative can assist you.