Light Rail and Bellevue
Receive email or text notification when there are new developments with this project
- Sound Transit Project Update: Info about Park and ride lot closures and more. Details in Project Update (04.28.17)
- BelRed Area East Link Construction Alert: Initial construction activities happening in BelRed area, between NE 124th NE and NE 20th St. Details in Construction Alert (04.28.17)
- Sound Transit announces May 30 closure of South Bellevue Park and Ride: On May 30, 2017, Sound Transit will close the South Bellevue Park and Ride. Details are contained in a East Link Project Update (04.18.17)
- Sound Transit announces May 1 closure of Overlake Transit Center parking: On May 1, 2017, Sound Transit will close the Overlake Transit Center parking lots for East Link construction. Bus and shuttle service will remain open through construction. Sound Transit News Release (04.13.17)
- I-90 HOV lanes to open soon, express lanes to close. Weekend work in May. The I-90 express lanes will permanently close to allow for East Link construction. WSDOT Project Info: I-90 - Two-Way Transit and HOV Operations
- Sound Transit has opened new park-and-ride lots. Sound Transit has opened five new leased park-and-ride lots, expanded two leased lots and identified existing lots with parking availability. Commuters are encouraged to plan ahead for when the South Bellevue and Overlake Transit Center park-and-ride sites close for East Link construction.
- Video on Sequential Excavation Method (SEM) tunneling. Read more and watch how the downtown tunnel will be excavated. SEM Video
- Downtown Tunnel Construction
112th Avenue SE/Main Street: Start around May 1; up to 6 days to complete. Two northbound lanes on 112th Ave SE closed but northbound traffic rerouted into left turn lane. 9am - 3pm. Sidewalk adjacent to work area closed. Continuation of watermain replacement
NE 2nd Pl from 110th Ave NE to 111th Ave NE: Closed 2016 thru 2018. Road will be closed for an extended period of time to allow use of the right of way as a staging area for Sound Transit.
About East Link Light Rail
Sound Transit's East Link light rail line will extend 14 miles from downtown Seattle to the Overlake area in Redmond, with 10 stations in Mercer Island, South Bellevue, downtown Bellevue, BelRed (Bellevue) and Overlake.
Sound Transit East Link • East Link 24-hour construction line: 1-888-298-2395 • East Link construction project updates • East Link Community Outreach: 206-398-LINK or email@example.com • Animation of East Link
The six East Link stations in Bellevue will be constructed in separate segments:
- Tunnel: (Under Construction) Half mile of tunnel from Main Street to NE 6th Street. Work began March 2016; expected to end 2nd Quarter 2020. Tunnel FAQ
- South Bellevue Segment: I-90 East Channel Bridge to SE 4th Street on 112th Ave SE. Work to begin 1st Quarter 2017; expected to end 4th Quarter 2020
- Central Bellevue Segment: SE 4th Street on 112th Ave SE to 124th Ave NE. Work to begin 2nd quarter 2017; expected to end 4th Quarter 2020 and includes:
- East Main Station
- Bellevue Downtown Station
- Wilburton Station
- Spring District/120th Station
- BelRed Segment: 124th Ave NE to intersection of NE 20th St and 136th Ave NE. Work to begin first quarter 2017; expected to end 3rd Quarter 2020 and includes:
The following segment includes stations outside of Bellevue:
- SR520/Overlake Segment: NE 20th St to NE 40th Street at Overlake Transit Center. Work to begin 1st Quarter 2017; expected to end 1st Quarter 2020 and includes:
- Overlake Village Station (located in Redmond, WA)
- Redmond Technology Center Station (located in Redmond, WA)
- I-90/Seattle-Mercer Island Segment: From International District/Chinatown Station to the East end of the East Channel Bridge.
- Judkins Park Station (located in Seattle, WA)
- Mercer Island Station (located in Mercer Island, WA)
Systems and testing: construction of the systems (guide wires, electronics, signaling, etc.) will occur as each segment is completed and will be completed mid-2021. Testing of the entire East Link will take approximately one-year, with revenue service expected to begin late 2022 or early 2023.
Operations & Maintenance Facility
In addition to the stations, Sound Transit is constructing an Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF) in the BelRed area (Bellevue) where light rail vehicle (LRV) storage and maintenance will be located. This "OMF-East" is needed to house the expanded fleet of LRVs with the East Link extension. Design of the facility will complement the BelRed Corridor Plan vision to transform the 900-acre corridor to capitalize on light rail investment and provide transit-oriented development opportunities.
Collaborative Design Process
At the time East Link (Sound Transit 2) was approved in 2008, the City of Bellevue and Sound Transit began to work closely, through a collaborative design process to create a Regional Light Rail Transit that meets regional and city needs. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) adopted in 2011 between the city and Sound Transit addressed the construction, operation, and maintenance of the light rail project was amended in 2015 to address coordination of City capital projects and terms regarding the OMSF.
Members of the Light Rail Permitting Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) were appointed by the City Council to help ensure community issues and concerns were to be addressed during the permit review process as defined in Bellevue’s Land Use Code. A great deal of public input was received at meetings and public events that helped shape the Design and Mitigation (D&M) Permits to be issued by the City.
The collaboration between Sound Transit and Bellevue continues as the design phase of the project comes to close and the construction phase begins in early 2016. Sound Transit and staff from the City’s permitting departments are working together to help minimize construction impacts to neighborhoods, businesses, traffic and the environment. The 2015 MOU requires various mitigation for the East Link project and is captured in Exhibit O. More about East Link mitigation.