To ensure that the basic survival needs of Bellevue residents are met, that support systems are in place to help people through economic and personal crisis and that low-and moderate-income persons are provided opportunities to succeed.
What are "human services"?
The City of Bellevue defines human services as those provided specifically to individuals and families to meet basic human needs for:
- Finding and retaining gainful employment
- Support in times of personal and family crisis
- Assistance in overcoming family or individual problems
- Help in gaining access to available, appropriate services
The Bellevue City Council adopted human service policies and guidelines in 1986. Resolution #4815 established the city’s role in human services and established the Human Services Commission.
Bellevue’s Role in Human Services
Bellevue takes one of the following three roles in human services, depending on the need:
- Planner: assess and anticipate needs and develop appropriate policy and program responses.
- Facilitator: convene and engage others in community problem-solving to develop and improve services.
- Funder: disburse federal Community Development Block Grant and General Fund dollars to support a network of services that respond to community needs.
Bellevue's human service funding is on a two-year cycle, with second-year funding contingent on contract performance and program outcomes. For more information about funding criteria and timelines, please e-mail grant coordinator Camron Parker or call him at 425-452-6165.
How can you contribute directly to the Human Services Fund?
The Human Services Division administers the Human Services Fund to serve Bellevue residents, using it to help agencies provide needed health and social services. While you cannot designate your donation to a particular agency or program, you are assured that 100 percent of it will go to providing services; there are no administrative fees taken out.
If you would like to send a contribution to this fund, you can make your check payable to the City of Bellevue Human Services Fund, and send it to:
City of Bellevue
Parks and Community Services Department
PO Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009-9012