Popular Pages How Do I... Apply Check Status Find Get Involved Pay Report Request See About Bellevue City Profile Economic
Human Services Neighborhoods Planning Initiatives Accessibility City Hall Emergency City Government Departments Public Safety Publications Services A-Z
Available Languages

Fire Permits

A. Construction/Tenant Improvement Permits
Remodeling and new construction that involves the alteration or modification of fire prevention, detection or alarm systems will require a permit. Please visit the Fire Prevention Division page on New Construction/Tenant Improvements.

B. Operational Permits (Annual and Temporary use)  - APPLICATIONS
You must apply for an operational permit from the Fire Prevention Division before engaging in any of the activities, operations, practices or functions listed below:

  • 105.6.1 Aerosol products. To manufacture, store or handle an aggregate quantity of Level 2 or Level 3 aerosol products in excess of 500 pounds (227 kg) net weight.
  • 105.6.2 Amusement buildings. To operate a special amusement building.
  • 105.6.3 Aviation facilities. Aircraft servicing or repair of.
  • 105.6.4 Carnivals and fairs. To conduct a carnival or fair.
  • 105.6.5 Battery systems. To install stationary lead-acid battery systems having a electrolyte capacity of more than 50 gallons water capacity (189 L).
  • 105.6.6 Cellulose nitrate film. To store, handle or use in an ‘A’ occupancy.
  • 105.6.7 Combustible dust-producing operations. To operate.
  • 105.6.8 Combustible fibers. To store and handle quantities in excess of 100 cubic feet.
  • 105.6.9 Compressed gases. To store, use or handle.
  • 105.6.10 Covered mall buildings.
  • 105.6.11 Cryogenic fluids. To produce, store, transport on site, use, handle or dispense.
  • 105.6.12 Cutting and welding. To conduct cutting or welding operations.
  • 105.6.13 Dry cleaning plants. To engage in the business of dry cleaning.
  • 105.6.14 Exhibits and trade shows. To operate exhibits and trade shows.
  • 105.6.15 Explosives. To manufacture, store, handle, sell or use any quantity.
  • 105.6.16 Fire hydrants and valves. To use or operate.
  • 105.6.17 Flammable and combustible liquids. To store, handle or use Class I liquids in excess of 5 gallons inside a building or 10 gallons outside a building. Additional restrictions may apply.
  • 105.6.18 Floor finishing. To finish or resurface more than 350 square feet.
  • 105.6.19 Fruit and crop ripening. To operate.
  • 105.6.20 Fumigation and thermal insecticidal fogging. To operate a business of fumigation.
  • 105.6.21 Hazardous materials. To store, transport on site, dispense, use or handle.
  • 105.6.22 HPM facilities. To store, handle or use hazardous production materials.
  • 105.6.23 High-piled storage. To use a building or portion thereof as a high-piled storage area exceeding 500 square feet.
  • 105.6.24 Hot work operations. Welding, cutting or roofing.
  • 105.6.25 Industrial ovens. To operate.
  • 105.6.26 Lumber yards and woodworking plants.  Handling in excess of 100,000 board feet.
  • 105.6.27 Liquid- or gas-fueled vehicles. To operate in an ‘A’ occupancy.
  • 105.6.28 LP-gas. To store and use LP-gas.  Restrictions apply.
  • 105.6.29 Magnesium. To melt, cast, heat treat or grind in excess of 10 pounds.
  • 105.6.30 Miscellaneous combustible storage. To store in any building.
  • 105.6.31 Open burning. To start or maintain an open fire or a fire on any public street, alley, road or other public or private ground. Instructions and stipulations of the permit shall be adhered to. Exception: Recreational fires.
  • 105.6.32 Open flames and torches. To remove paint with a torch or to use a torch or open-flame device in a hazardous fire area.
  • 105.6.33 Open flames and candles. To use open flames or candles in connection with assembly areas, dining areas of restaurants or drinking establishments.
  • 105.6.34 Organic coatings. Producing more than 1 gallon per day.
  • 105.6.35 Places of assembly.  To operate a place of assembly.
  • 105.6.36 Private fire hydrants. For the removal from service, use or operation of private fire hydrants.
  • 105.6.37 Pyrotechnic special effects material. To use.
  • 105.6.38 Pyroxylin plastics. To store or handle.
  • 105.6.39 Refrigeration equipment. To operate.
  • 105.6.40 Repair garages and motor fuel-dispensing facilities. To operate.
  • 105.6.41 Rooftop heliports. To operate.
  • 105.6.42 Spraying or dipping. To conduct.
  • 105.6.43 Storage of scrap tires and tire byproducts.
  • 105.6.44 Temporary membrane structures, tents andcanopies. To operate a temporary membrane structure or a tent having an area in excess of 200 square feet or a canopy in excess of 400 square feet.
  • 105.6.45 Tire-rebuilding plants. To operate.
  • 105.6.46 Waste handling. For the operation of wrecking yards, junk yards and waste material-handling facilities.
  • 105.6.47 Wood products. To store chips, hogged material, lumber or plywood in excess of 200 cubic feet.

Types of Operational Permits

Temporary Permit – A temporary operational permit allows the applicant to conduct an operation or a business for which a permit is required for prescribed period of time. The specific dates will be listed on the temporary permit indicating when the hazard or condition will be in effect. The fire marshal may grant an extension of the permit time period upon presentation by the permittee of a satisfactory reason for failure to start or complete the work or activity authorized by the permit within the required time period of the permit.

Until-Revoked Permit – An until-revoked permit allows the applicant to conduct an operation or a business for which a permit is required for an undetermined period of time, provided the conditions of the permit are met. The specific date will be listed on the permit indicating when the hazard or condition commences. The permit shall extend for a continuous period of time upon demonstration by the permittee of a satisfactory use of the permitted condition or hazard.

Permit Fee Schedule
A fee of $100 shall be charged for each operational permit. When more than one permit is required for the same location, consolidation into a single permit is acceptable provided that each provision is listed on the permit.

Exceptions are:

  • Nonprofit organizations, governments, civic clubs and organizations and residences.
  • Candles in a place of assembly.
  • Parade floats.

Renewal Fee For Until-Revoked Permits
An annual renewal fee of $100 is required for all until-revoked permits. Such fees shall be due at the beginning of the following year from the date of permit issuance. A list of all new permits issued during the previous year as well as existing until revoked permits shall be forwarded to the Finance Department for billing. Information including name and address of person to be billed, location of permitted activity and type of permit shall be included as part of the billing information.

Temporary Permit Fee
Temporary permit fees shall be billed immediately upon issuance of permitted activity.  Information including, name and address of person to be billed, location of permitted activity and type of permit shall be included as part of the billing information.

Contact Information

Fire Department
450 110th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98009
Contact: Prevention Division
Phone: 425-452-6872
Fax: 425-452-5287
E-mail: Fire_prevention@bellevuewa.gov
Contact: Fire Prevention Plan Review Desk
Phone: 425-452-4122
E-mail: FireReview@bellevuewa.gov

Customer Assistance

Related Links