120th Ave NE Stage 2: NE 7th St to NE 12th St
Receive email or text notification for updates on this project
For the second stage of 120th Avenue Northeast improvements, the city will realign and widen the existing roadway to five lanes from Northeast Seventh Street to Northeast 12th Street. (Construction on Stage 1, from Northeast Fourth Street to Northeast Seventh Street, will be completed in October/November 2014.)
With the roadway widening, the intersection signals at Northeast Eighth Street and Northeast 12th Street will be modified, and a new signal will be installed at Old Bel-Red Road/Lake Bellevue Drive. The project will also include bike lanes and sidewalks on both sides, landscaping, storm drainage and street lighting. Additionally, contaminated material at the site will be removed, soft soils will be stabilized and new water and sewer systems and a joint utility trench for future underground utilities will be constructed.
To help accommodate the expected growth in the Bel-Red and downtown areas, the 120th Avenue NE corridor widening will provide an alternative link between downtown, the new proposed Northeast Spring Boulevard in the Bel-Red area, the proposed East Link station on NE Spring Blvd and 120th Ave NE, and on to SR 520.
This project will be phased into three Work Zones. The entire Stage 2 project is estimated to take about two years to complete. See the tentative Work Zone Plan, which was shared at the pre-construction open house at City Hall on Thursday, September 4.
Work Zone 1 is scheduled to begin in September/October 2014 and is estimated to continue until Spring 2015. This Work Zone, which goes from just south of NE 8th St to Old Bel-Red Road, will include:
- Roadway widening on 120th Ave NE and NE 8th St
- Underground utility work
- Retaining wall installation
- Sidewalks, curb and gutter
Expect the following impacts at Work Zone 1:
- Daytime lane closures on 120th Ave NE south of NE 8th St
- Night work on NE 8th St and in the NE 8th St/120th Ave NE intersection with intermittent lane closures
- Access to area businesses and residences will be maintained during construction.
Work Zones 2 and 3 will occur from Old Bel-Red Road to NE 12th St, east and west, respectively. More information about these Work Zones will be made available as work progresses in Work Zone 1.
Major construction projects like this can bring significant detours and traffic impacts. As construction begins on this stage of the 120th Avenue, watch for updates on electronic message boards near the construction site. Check our weekly updated Traffic Advisories and follow @BvueTrans for up-to-date traffic impact information.
This project began as part of the Mobility & Infrastructure Initiative (M&II) and is a key piece of Wilburton Connections. As part of the Northeast 4th St and 120th Avenue Northeast Corridor Project this project will improve mobility, support economic development, and address the expected growth in travel demand in the Bel-Red and Wilburton areas.
The input from public outreach events helped to establish this stage of 120th Avenue Northeast as an important element in the corridor’s development. The project was presented for public input at various open house events, including:
- Mobility & Infrastructure Initiative Open House for Bel-Red and Wilburton Connections (March 2010 and November 2010)
- Sound Transit and Bel-Red Open House, (May 29, 2012)
- East Link Open House (March 28, 2013 and April 3, 2013)
- Spring Forward Expo (April 24, 2013)
- East Link Open House (May 16, 2013)
- East-Link/Bel-Red Open House (September 10, 2013)
- 124th Streetscapes and Bel-Red projects overview Open House (December 9, 2013)